Combined Heat and Power (CHP) Support Act
- Rep. Peter Welch (D-VT)
- Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL)
- Rep. Paul Tonko (D-NY)
- Rep. David McKinley (R-WV)
WHAT IT DOES
This bill facilitates research, education and implementation of combined heat and power (CHP) technology.
WHY WE LIKE IT
Combined heat and power is an efficient technology that puts the excess heat from power production to work in useful ways. The excess heat is often to warm the buildings in college campuses, hospitals, and other small communities that have on-site power production. Utilizing CHP in existing and future power-systems will decrease emissions by increasing energy efficiency. The bill establishes educational and economic support for communities that want to take advantage of this energy-saving process.
- Provides support through economic and engineering assessments and advisory activities
- Allocates funds towards for research institutions to ensure effectiveness of the regional CHP
- Operates programs that provide education to utility professionals, policymakers, and other organizations