- Frank Lucas (R)
- Eddie Bernice Johnson (D)
WHAT IT DOES
This bill would catalyze the Department of Energy’s (DOE) geothermal research research, development, and demonstration programs to facilitate technological breakthroughs needed to unlock the United States’ immense geothermal potential.
WHY WE LIKE IT
This reorients the DOE’s research, development, demonstration and commercialization of engineered or enhanced geothermal energy systems. The bill would encourage collaboration with industry and within DOE through the Office of Fossil Energy and the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy. The priorities of this program would increase geothermal energy development while decreasing the cost of development. Additionally, the bill would ensure continued operation of the Utah based Frontier Observatory for Research in Geothermal Energy (FORGE) site as well as create a coproduction of geothermal energy and critical minerals initiative.
- Increases the DOE’s RD&D initiatives, including an emphasis on promising engineered or enhanced geothermal systems (EGS), where oil and gas technology is used to reach deeper and hot dry rock, once thought inaccessible.
- Assists in streamlining opportunities to increase commercial applications of geothermal energy, including in EGS.
- Fosters industry collaboration to increase geothermal energy opportunities.
- Continues operation of FORGE site in Utah, while providing opportunities to expand with up to three field research sites including one east of the Mississippi River.
- Creates an initiative for the demonstration of enhanced geothermal systems for power production or direct use in various geologic settings.
- Expands advanced computing, modeling, and data science geothermal research.
- Establishes a workforce development program for the geothermal energy workforce and researchers at the national labs.
- Encourages international collaboration on the commercialization of cutting-edge technologies.
- Reauthorizes the High Cost Region Geothermal Energy Grant Program.
- ClearPath Action