- Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)
- Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV)
WHAT IT DOES
This bill is meant to encourage innovation to advance geothermal research and development.
WHY WE LIKE IT
This would amend the Energy Policy Act of 1992 to update the Department of Energy’s (DOE) geothermal energy resource assessment in coordination with the United States Geological Survey. This update in combination with applied data should illustrate new opportunities for geothermal resources. Additionally, the Advancing Geothermal Innovation Leadership Act would improve the geothermal R&D of the DOE as a whole through new research sites and coordinated efforts across programs (EERE and FE) and private industry.
- Opens up new opportunities for geothermal demonstrations
- Helps streamline and reduce unnecessary barriers through coordinated federal permitting.
- Authorizes four enhanced geothermal system projects
- Creates a subprogram for secondary uses: direct use, mineral recover (lithium), industrial applications and desalination.
- Maintains and expands research opportunities, including field research sites such as the Frontier Observatory for Research in Geothermal Energy (FORGE)
- Updates the Geothermal Resource Assessment
- Increases collaboration between DOE Offices and the private sector through knowledge and technique sharing with the oil and gas industry
- ClearPath Action
- Geothermal Resources Council