Enhancing Geothermal Production on Federal Lands Act
H.R. 4026 & S. 2270
- Rep. Russ Fulcher (R-ID)
- Sen. James E. Risch (R-ID)
WHAT THEY DO
This legislation will amend the Geothermal Steam Act of 1970 to help advance exploration for geothermal resources under geothermal leases on federal lands.
WHY WE LIKE THEM
This legislation will help remove barriers for geothermal activities on federal lands by streamlining the discovery and permitting process. A limited categorial exclusion would be created for geothermal exploration activities with new priority areas made available through the Department of the Interior. Geothermal energy would have the opportunity to expand into adjacent federal lands.
- Creation of a limited categorical exclusion, similar to the categorical exclusion for oil and gas exploration wells to help reduce the risk of capital costs.
- Requires the Secretary of Interior to identify areas for geothermal development on federal lands within five years.
- Allows for co-production of geothermal and oil and gas exploration to encourage development of geothermal resources.
- Noncompetitive leasing would be available to current lease holders on adjacent federal lands to produce geothermal energy at fair market value.
- ClearPath Action
- Ormat Technologies
- Geothermal Resources Council – Policy Committee
- Citizens for Response Energy Solutions