Reliable Investment in Vital Energy Reauthorization (RIVER) Act
- Rep. David B. McKinley (R-WV)
- Rep. Paul Tonko (D-NY)
- Rep. David Loebsack (D-IA)
- Rep. Steve Watkins (R-KS)
- Rep. Scott R. Tipton (R-CO)
WHAT IT DOES
This would amend the Energy Policy Act of 2005 to reauthorize the Hydroelectric Incentive Program, which provides funding for retrofitting dams with hydroelectric generating capabilities as well as the Hydroelectric Efficiency Improvement Program.
WHY WE LIKE IT
This change will reauthorize the program through 2036, to encourage further retrofitting of non-powered dams. Powering non-powered dams has the potential to add 3.6 GW of clean and affordable hydropower electricity to the U.S. grid.
- Reauthorizes the Hydroelectric Incentive Program
- Eligibility window of payments extends from 10 fiscal years to 22 fiscal years
- Extends the programs through 2036
- Eligible facilities can receive up to 1.8 cents per kWh with maximum payments of $750,000 per year
- National Hydropower Association